The dripstone was a common item across most colonial houses and on many ships in the 1800's. The dripstone was used to purify the water by placing it in the top and filtered (clear) water would drip out the bottom. This stone, like many others were made on Norfolk Island by convicts between 1825 and 1855. In the 1890's the public health experts condemned them as potential source for diseases like typhoid. They found that the water, while clear, was not clean as it didn't filter out germs. After this, the use of the stone as a water filter system was not as popular.
The stone is not sandstone like many think, it is actually made from calcarenite or limestone that was located on an offshore outcrop. Workers would have to stand in the water at high tide to complete their work.
Like many dripstones, they were positioned in a timber frame allowing users to place a vessel beneath the stone to capture the filtered water.
This dripstone is located at one of the historic houses in the Mulgoa Valley and is situated in-between the kitchen and the house. It was gifted to the owner of the property from a baker in Penrith and was originally owned by Sir John Jamieson of 'Regentville'.